We know what you’re thinking. It’s a million degrees outside and the last thing you want dancing through your head are thoughts of turtlenecks and woolen mittens. We promise, we’re not making this up! Christmas in July has a documented history that can be traced back to a 1892 opera called Werther. As the story goes, a group of children rehearse a Christmas song in July. According to the English translation an onlooker observed, “When you sing Christmas in July, you rush the season.” And just like that, a global tradition was born.
Here at Revivals, we joyfully embrace the spirit of Christmas in July for two reasons. First, you know how we love resurrecting fabulous vintage treasures, and second, if we can help you get a jump on your Christmas shopping and save you some cash to boot, why not? So to help you get in the spirit of the season, here are some useful tips to help you shop for your nearest and dearest without get caught up in the holiday rush.
1. Pay attention. Has your sister has been borrowing a specific piece from your closet lately? Is there any particular color your mom just can’t stop wearing? If you start paying attention now to what your loved ones are coveting, you’ll have plenty of time to browse around for that perfect purchase. After all, everyone loves to receive a thoughtful gift from the heart!
2. Start early. Mary Poppins was onto something when she declared, “Half begun is well done.” You already know the misery and stress that comes with waiting until mid December to start your holiday shopping. Not only are you limited to what stores have in stock on that particular day, but you’ll likely pay full price! We’re getting new merchandise all the time at Revivials, so keep checking in for the perfect gift at the perfect price.
3. Make it your own. We love the idea of buying a vintage or recycled piece of jewelry, for example, and adding your own personal signature. Engrave a few words of love on a locket, or put a nickname only known by the two of you on a music box. Personalizing an item adds that something extra making your gift even more precious to the lucky recipient.
4. Become a detective. Some people can feel like mission impossible to buy for, no matter how much you ask. We suggest the following tactics should you need to engage in a little gift-giving recon. Does this person have a hobby? Try glancing through any mail catalogues lying around to get a sense of their interests. Ask them to tell you their favorite memories or stories from the past. Revivals is the perfect place to find a gift reminiscent of that special time in their life. When all else fails, ask their wife, husband, or best friend!
5. Give to get. Low on Christmas cash? Now is the perfect time to clean out your closets and rethink your old furniture for consignment! After all, Revivals gives you the highest consignment commission in the desert community! If you’re over that gently worn kimono, bring it in and add a little extra cash to your Christmas stash. Consider donating a little of your free time to volunteer and support your neighbors in need. We all know that giving is always more rewarding than receiving in the end.